The Shelter Farm is an emerging first year small-scale market garden initiative to alleviate the negative effects poverty has on health in our community, while also acting as a farmer training site for new farmers looking for support and guidance in starting their own farm operations.
The primary objectives of this project are as follows:
- Establish a high functioning .5 - 1 acre vegetable production farm
- Develop educational framework to accept intern farmers on an annual basis
- Work in tandem with other farms sharing collective space
- Build relations with farmers markets, restaurants and CSA clients
- Increase local food security
- Increase and support emerging farms and farmers
What we will grow: Salad mixes, beets, carrots, peas, beans, green onions, radish, broccoli, spinach, cucumbers, squash, strawberries, culinary herbs, garlic and flowers. All produce will be grown without GMO’s and using only sustainable, ecological methods.
Visit us on Facebook at Shelter Farm